Friday, March 6, 2015

The Only Question of Consequence...


You ask of me, you ask of St. Peter – the only question of consequence…
"Peter, do you love me?"
So often, I confess O Lord, that my love has been cold and slow to act
Yet as often as I have wandered away from your love
You have come to find me out and sought to bring me back to You
to be reconciled.

"Peter, do you love me more than these?"
These words strike to the core and brush aside, lay bare my own heart.
Lord, do I love You?  May it be so. 
Then you speak unexpected words…"feed my sheep."
Tend my lambs.  Feed my sheep.
Considering this task causes one to be overwhelmed with the simple truth –
With what shall I feed them?  I am impoverished myself.  I do not have enough to give.
But ‘God provides’ as it says in the Scriptures…though we struggle and fall
And often fail to be the conduit for God’s grace as He is calling us to be – ‘God provides’.

“Peter, when you were a young man you used to put sandals on your feet and go wherever you wished, but when you grow old someone will come and put a belt around you and take you to a place you would rather not go…But by this kind of death you will give glory to God.”  
Yes, there can be love in the midst of death, and most certainly there can be loving in the midst of dying.  It is not physical death such as Peter’s that we most often encounter but the small “letting go’s” that keep us going forward in serving – and in choosing to serve rather than be served.

Lord we ask forgiveness for the ways we have fallen short of your love and have failed to extend that love to others.  We ask forgiveness for any patterns of laziness or sloth have crept up in our lives.  We ask You to help us begin again.  Help us to trust You more readily than we have in the past and assist us in seeking Your truth wherever we go.  Do not lead us into temptation but guide us by Your Holy Spirit into the ways of righteousness. 

May we hear in Your words to Peter words for us.  That when You asked him, “Follow me” – that we might live these words…that we might follow You – wherever You lead.  Help us not to cling to former disappointments or discouraging results…but to trust in Your capacity to make us new.  Keep us focused on following the path You mark out for us…the path of Love…the path of self-sacrifice. 

I close these thoughts by turning to Mary, our Mother, and the star of the New Evangelization.  Mother, may you assist us in following your Son, Jesus.  May you who poured out all your maternal love and became an ardent disciple...show us best how to become children of the Word made Flesh.  May it be your delight to lead us to Christ the Sun who never sets.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment