Friday, December 10, 2010

Kali's Story

CBC Radio brings the story of Kali this morning...of losing her parents to a drunk driver.  Accidents involving alcohol are on the rise in NB - from 32% to 40% of the fatal accidents in motor vehicles.  Click here to follow Kali's story (3 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8QAkxjJQug


I hear people often declare, "Who am I to say what is right or wrong for another person?"  The other choice is anarchy, folks.  To refuse to stand for right and wrong is to drown in the syrupy-slow suffocation of moral goodness..to flirt in the icy off-stage shadows, to refuse to strut our hour upon the stage.  The choice to engage the fundamental right-wrong discussion is fundamental - an orientation that flavors our life like a vanilla bean latte.  We choose to drift from the drama or to let our voice be heard.  I encourage us today - engage her (the drama) full-on...a drama that may involve naming sin for what it is.  


Too much alcohol clouds our judgment.  Might I suggest that this is a perfect illustration of what sin does.  Sin clouds our judgment - impairs discernment and disarms caution.  Sin patiently bears down upon our conscience to stop the double-talk...to forfeit the path of right.  The din of rebellion arises in the heart - "There are no absolutes.  I only believe this because religion taught it to me - it is irrelevant.  It is facile.  I am mature now - ready for complexity, daring and moral ambiguity!"

Kali does not force people to abandon their dangerous, careening path but she appeals to them.  As Pope John Paul II said, "The Church proposes" to those of unbelief "she does not impose." And propose Kali must...as she stands amidst the wreckage of her life.


Do we need to come face to face with the wreckage of our lives before we sober up?  



I know for my own life the encroachment of sin in my own life is often shown forth in avoidance of duty.  I begin - so subtly at first - to engage bad habits - like substituting my duties for personal preferences and pampering.  Soon I find myself completely introverted - tuned in only to the 'Me' channel.  My life becomes the "Me-Tube".  




--------------------------------------Appeal to the Attentive Father----------------------------------------

Father, thank you for sending Jesus your Son to us.
In this Advent season, prepare the 'inn' of our hearts
with silence as the straw for the creche, and adoration as
the swaddling cloth to wrap Him in.  Make us contemplatives
of a new order - able to hear Your voice and heed your word.

Father, I am sorry for putting off my duty - to prayer, to work, to accepting responsibility
for my own self-care...even making time for friendship.


I pray for Kali and her brother - I abhor the unfairness of the situation she lives with.   
I thank You for my own parents.  I ask - please bless them today.
I pray that Kali's story encourage us to do what is right. 


Father, as I prepare for this weekend's homily, as I prepare for this day
and try to own up to my responsibilities (work, play, struggle, rejoice!)
I ask your forgiveness
for my words are wobbly, my convictions are compromised and my decisions deficient.
I've spent more time hiding from my duties than fulfilling them.
Yet,
You ask only humility, zeal and perseverance.
I am prone to give up - seeing the mountain of my weaknesses
rather than investing in Your evidential power. 

Father, because I do not trust...I do not feel the strength to make the effort.
Instead I complain!

Attentive Father,
Allow me the grace to have the dish-pan hands of life.

And if there is any way possible, please allow me a visit home - today - if possible...with family and friends.  I miss their goodness to me.  It is like being in an environment that breathes - supports - new life in me.

If I am to remain here in town,
help me bring joy to those I meet.


~ Your son, Aaron

1 comment:

  1. Drunk driving is one of those crimes that I can never understand. Some others I can understand teh motive behind even if I don't condone teh actions.
    "The choice to engage the fundamental right-wrong discussion is fundamental - an orientation that flavors our life like a vanilla bean latte. We choose to drift from the drama or to let our voice be heard. I encourage us today - engage her (the drama) full-on...a drama that may involve naming sin for what it is. "

    reminds me of a favorite quote of mine about how when we refuse to take sides we have already sided with the status quo

    ReplyDelete