Thursday, March 30, 2023

Daring to Pursue God despite the Darkness


Hi friends, 


The Gospel today (John 8:51-19)

contains this disarming phrase 

on Jesus' lips: 

Before Abraham was, I am.”  

These troubling words Jesus dares to say.

 

With these words, Jesus crosses the threshold. 

He is now speaking recklessly.  

He is now revealing Himself.  

There will be consequences. 

There will be nails and spit.

There will be blood poured from His face and His side.

 

There is no turning back from these words.

There is no turning back from these claims.

 

When the time comes, 

will I be willing to speak words 

from which I cannot recover?

What would it be like to swept up 

in that kind of Love…

a love which does not flinch before the grave?  

We thirst for a power to overcome the physical grave…

but also the rejection and shame 

the world heaps upon us 

who do not mouth their narratives 

or mimic their conclusions.

 

What would it be like 

to be so caught up in His symphony 

that we do not count our missteps? 

What would it be like not to flinch before 

the cold glare of those whose perceptions 

matter overmuch?

When did we surrender our peace to projections bent on keeping them sated?  

I'm tired of chasing these projections.

Tired of living the lie. 

Tired of dancing like a puppet on the string.

 

I wanna walk in Your light, Lord.  

I wanna walk in Your light.

I want to walk free.

I want to pursue You again...

the darkness is so close, on my heels.


The Gospel of John says: 

And the light shines in the darkness, 

and the darkness has not overcome it…


Your days are numbered, O Prince of the darkness.

Your days are numbered.









No comments:

Post a Comment